Friday, May 8, 2009

Fashion Statement

This past week my wife cut her hair the shortest it's ever been. It's new and she looks hot! I don't know what it is, but a woman's hair has always been a physical attribute that catches my eye. I have always thought I was a dark, long, healthy hair type of guy. But I was happily surprised at how good she looks with short hair.

So where am I going with this? This post isn't meant to be a discussion about which hair style is my favorite, but my wife's new doo prompts me to explore what motivates us married people to still feel the need to make ourselves attractive.

I'm aware that people like to look good because that's how they love themselves, feel confident, and prioritize their health. But let's keep it real, a reason, and for many the main reason why people get all done up is because they want to attract the people around them. That was my intention when I was single. I bought a nice outfit and went to the gym to try and get big and buff so when a PYT (pretty young thang) came my way, I would be equipped with the proper bait to reel her in.

But now that I’m married, what reasons should I have to keep myself up? Why should I go to the gym and hit the weights as hard? In a weird way wouldn’t I be more of a loyal husband if I just let myself go, get fat and only focus on the love of my wife and family? Wouldn’t I just be looking for temptation to come my way?

Some may say it’s a superficial topic; worrying about one’s external appearance, but to me it goes deeper than that. It addresses the need to shift one's intentions when becoming a husband. In my case it's probably going to take some time to rid myself of a single dude’s mentality and adopt the married man's book of intentions. I think the key though is not to change overnight, but to recognize the need to adjust.

Once again so many more questions with so many more guesses.

Until next time…

7 comments:

  1. We all need to feel good about ourselves..but we also want to look good for the one we love too.
    Is your wife filipino?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, a very strong willed one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think we should all still work to keep ourselves looking our best. Not to attract others but to feel our best and most confident. I know that I always feel better when I look better, and am there for more productive.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's cool. My partner is filipino. We just bought a home in the philippines.
    I've been learning tagalog and can speak enough to get my way around.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gotta Keep It Fresh My Man...surprise the ones we love...as well as ourselves...by looking GOOD! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It comes down to when you look good, you feel good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I sport a nice little gut, and it's just getting uncomfortable! So I've been hitting the gym a little harder and trying to eat a little better (he says, while the box of Whoppers he bought for the movie the other night taunts him...). I'm married with two kids and a third on the way, so if anything, I've gotta shed some pounds to keep up with THEM! Just do what you do, the only thing you may have to change is your focus: do what's best for the family!

    ReplyDelete

Fatherhood Friday

Dad Blogs

Bishop's 1st school presentation